I was going through my drafts on my email — basically emails that hadn’t been sent — and I found this email to myself. It’s a riff on Being a Tree as in Psalm One.
Psalm One — what does it mean to be a tree of life?
I loved the leaves never withering and the bearing fruit in its season but then my thoughts made it down to the Roots of these trees.
Commandments as roots? Here are MY favorite commandments.
- Bless bless don’t curse. Cursing is an extreme form of judgment And it clogs our capillaries
- Offer up the sacrifice of praise First fruits of lips that name Jesus as Lord — praise is Trust made audible — the opposite of despair — an antidote to fear.
- Confess your sins/shortfalls one to another that you may be healed Sharing — hearing and being heard is powerful when just humans listen. How much more when God listens. And That kind of sharing strengthens the body of Christ
- Weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice — this is the Power of being with one another. And again it strengthens the community — the body of Christ.
- Pray for those who despite fully use you — if your enemy is thirsty give him to drink. Ah, that is the effect of prolonged prayer! We begin to see with God’s eyes and that changes everything — especially us.
- Care for the orphan, widow and stranger in your midst — that is seeing Jesus in the Least — and are we not all one of the Least?
I thought but what sort of image for this riff? Images of real roots? And then I saw an image of a map of Singapore — taken when we visited– and realized Your Commandments God, are to help us find our way in Life. Help us navigate. Help us live more love filled lives. Help us be more fruitfully human.